Sunday, November 22, 2015

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 I Belong to God


Hey there! Long time no posting. So yesterday was my birthday and it was wonderful. Today was a fabulous day at church and I am so thankful for both that I thought I would post on a Sunday even though I don't typically do so.
I love a good Bible Study. I am usually involved in a formal study with a ladies group. We usually have something going in our Life Group (aka Sunday School). Pastor has a series of lessons each week in church. AND I usually feel led to explore a theme or book on my own. So for the foreseeable future I will be sharing verses from one of those areas of study.
Today's verse comes from my personal study of our identity in Christ.
I had a conversation with a good friend and she was talking about what the Bible says about who we are in Christ. As I thought about this I remember thinking do I really know what the Bible says about my identity in Christ? hmmmm
Then my friend said, "And if we know what the Bible says about our identity in Christ, do we believe it?"
WOW - knowing vs. believing. There is a difference. I heard a sermon by Matt Chandler and he said you can know something without it being followed by action but if you believe something it shows in your actions.
Hmmmmm do I believe what the Bible says about who I am in Christ?
And then my friend said, "Do your behaviors line up with that belief in who the Bible says we are in Christ?"
Wowser!
Or do we allow habits and emotional baggage to conceal who we are in Christ?

So, I looked up what the Bible had to say about my identity. I used my friend's three questions as a guide starting with What does the Bible say about our identity in Christ.
I prayed about and read a lot of verses and statements. I ended up with 21 related to this first question with this first verse being the bedrock.
I Belong to God
You are not your own for you were bought with a price. 

I started thinking about slavery and how people were purchased in exchange for money and without a say in where they were going or what they were going to do. Only their master knew.
I made a choice to accept the price Jesus paid for me that allows me to belong to God. 
Now am I willing to live like I belong to Him? Am I willing to go where He wants me to go? Am I willing to do what He wants me to do?
He paid the price.


No comments:

Post a Comment