Saturday, September 26, 2015

Exodus 14:14


Continuing with my theme of mouth/talking this verse it so powerful.
I wanted to reflect that power in my coloring so I did a kind-of camouflage inking.
For those of us who like to talk (and do a lot of talking), and find it difficult to be still, this verse is so important.
Depending on the version you use that last word, silent (from ESV) is translated as still, calm, peace, quiet. I feel like God is sometimes telling me this verse using ALL of the words. 
  
תַּחֲרִישֽׁוּן׃  ta·ḥă·rî·šūn 

One commentary explains it as "firm in confidence" as in firm in your confidence in God. Strong's Concordance records 2 occurrences of this Hebrew verb. Exodus 14:14 & Job 13:5.

Exodus 14:14 
HEB: לָכֶ֑ם וְאַתֶּ֖ם תַּחֲרִישֽׁוּן׃ פ 
NAS: will fight for you while you keep silent.
KJV: shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace.
INT: will fight you keep
Job 13:5 
HEB: יִ֭תֵּן הַחֲרֵ֣שׁ תַּחֲרִישׁ֑וּן וּתְהִ֖י לָכֶ֣ם
NAS: that you would be completely silent, And that it would become
KJV: ye would altogether hold your peace! and it should be your wisdom.
INT: that you would be completely silent become your wisdom

In Exodus, and in Job, it is clear that God wants us to steady ourselves and let Him do what only He does so completely. 

I love to look at root words and compare where they are used. It helps me to understand the full scope of a word and why it was used in a particular verse or story.


I used a stamp for "LORD" and the rest is hand lettered.
I used Ranger Distress Ink and blender tool to create my "camouflage"

Thanks for stopping by!


6 comments:

  1. Once again you've outdone yourself with your art ..... and your informative post is so helpful and encouraging! I think I'll use this verse in a card I plan to make for a Christian lady who is fighting cancer. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita, first let me say how much your encouragement has blessed me! You have become my faithful friend in the blog world! With that I have to tell you that I was thinking of you when I decided to go a little deeper on this post. I often do this in my own study, but know that some folks aren't interested in it. I thought it was so powerful and I thought you might like it too! Thank you for leaving me comments. It helps to know that someone is getting something from this blog! Many blessings to you and to your friend fighting cancer. -Joanie

      Delete
  2. Joanie ... thank you so much for your thoughtfulness and sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get the LORD stamp set? I must have one!!! Love your pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LeighM - it is my own stamp set that will be available next week. I designed them for my local ladies but have a small supply I will offer here on my blog. Look for a tab on the home page of the blog. :-)

      Delete